Going to optometry conferences is very much the same experience for me. Being able to meet & greet with fellow eye doctors is so enjoyable. The camaraderie is something that is experienced in other occupations, I’m sure, and it is nice to be able to nerd out with people who get the same type of humor.
Would you like to meet some of the people I ran into at the AFOS & SECO meetings?
- Scott Slagle! I’ve gone to lots of meetings. They get made 100x better when I get to spend time with Dr. Slagle. My career would be nowhere near where it is today if it weren’t for him.
2. Tammy Than! I was so excited when I found out Dr. Than was going to be able to come to the AFOS meeting at SECO to lecture. She really takes the cake when it comes to content, organization, and delivery. Subtle humor, concise, and thorough! I’m not nearly as intelligent.
3. James Venable: “It’s not a democracy, it’s a dictatorship.” Dr. Venable said that during my first year in optometry school when we were essentially whining about the test schedule. Haha! We got over it.
4. Chris Lievens: I have so many memories of Dr. Lievens from lab and clinic. He was always very encouraging of me in pursuit of my passions, and I thank him!
4. Steve Wilson: His son, Wes, is my sister’s photographer. We figured we’d get a selfie together at the expo to say, “see, we take good photos, too!” Hahah! Hometown pride!
5. Steven Lowinger: I met him as part of our “Optometrists Who CrossFit” group meetup in Seattle, Washington in 2013. It’s amazing how both of our passions combined to bring us together. So good seeing you!
I, obviously, met so many more people. But I don’t want to bore you… nor do either of us have the time! Until Thursday!
PS: Tomorrow is my 32nd BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!